Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Wadleigh stream Lean-to to Hurd Brook Lean-to---July 9th

Started raining at 5:30 this morning, but the heaviest was over by the time I left the shelter at 6.  Although the clouds lingered early, as the day wore on it got brighter and sunnier.
For a person in decent shape, these climbs are nothing and once on top of the high points it was usually views back down through the trees to the lakes.  At one point, on a lower section down by Rainbow Lake, I passed the owner of Shaws, who was out on a day hike with a couple of friends.  Certainly surprised to see each other before saying our hellos and final goodbyes.  The best part of the day was up on the Rainbow Ledges where the path was mainly a strip of hard granite through moss, lichen and short grasses.
Arriving at Hurd Brook at 1:30 p.m., a teenage youth group was just leaving.  However, it wasn't too long before another had taken it's place.  In the meanwhile,  I'd discovered another complication from finishing the hiking day so early; the focus I have on the trail quickly turns to the hunger I have in my belly.  Scanning about for anything that might have been left by others, I found a couple of packets of Top Ramen.  I'd seen plenty of hikers using the packets for meals along the trail, but due to my not having a stove had never considered them for myself.  Well, I decided to experiment.  Breaking up the ramen noodles, I put them in my tin cup and added water, allowing enough soaking time for them to become tender before adding the flavour pack.  To my pleasant surprise, it wasn't half bad.  Slurping down the beef flavoured noodles, I thought I'd have to add this food source to my list of possibilities on further resupplies.
As the day waned and the shadows lengthened, a sense of growing excitement built within me.  Tomorrow would be the last day for carrying a full pack, and it would basically be a half-day at that.  Katahdin was within reach and definitely in sight.  Belly rumbling once again, I dipped into my own supplies to satisfy its voracious appetite.

Above Rainbow Lake
Rainbow Ledges
Looking Out of Hurd Brook Lean-to
      











No comments:

Post a Comment