Thursday, July 28, 2011

Brown Gap to Rich Mtn. Fire Tower Side Trail---April 25th

Butterflies and birdsong seen and heard along the way
A gentle breeze, the sun o'er head. My, what a glorious day!

Convinced that we're alone now, us vagabonds, we three
The best of partners I could have---I, myself and me.

There were three young teenage hikers who walked past my camp at Brown Gap last night at 9 o'clock.  Didn't know their reason for pressing on after dark, but discovered it as I reached the top of Max Patch and found them sound asleep in their sleeping bags, sawing logs as the soft light of morning settled on the summit.  While I sat down on my own patch of grass and enjoyed my breakfast, they didn't even stir.  I left them undisturbed in their blissful slumber, completely unaware of my passing.
A magnificently relaxing day going up and down with no climbs too troublesome nor descents too steep.  I was alone on the trail for the most part except for a few couples with dogs.  In the course of time, I found myself in Hot Springs, North Carolina, resupplying at the Dollar General and checking in with my sister via e-mail at the town library.  Bought a couple of books there to give me something to read and keep my mind occupied in camp.  Nothing is quite as good at helping me wind down at the end of a long day than a chapter or two.  I'd contemplated taking a rafting trip while in town, but felt the experience would suffer in comparison to my time shooting the rapids on the Nile, so decided to skip it.
Leaving town along the bank of the French Broad River, I saw the rafters in their life vests and headgear having a good time in the whitewater.  I loved hearing their excited shouts as they dropped a few feet over a category three, but for my money, the river was much too tame.  Eventually the trail reached a series of switchbacks that climbed up out of the valley, offering great views of the river, the town and the surrounding mountains.  Later on there was a small dam near Miller Ridge, a nice, interesting place shaded by tall trees with a couple of benches inviting to a foot-worn traveler.  Little secluded spots like this are perfect for taking snack breaks or catching your breath.
It's a great sensation to feel so strong on the trail like I did today.  Almost super human, could go all day and not feel tired or sore.  Even with the lengthy, hour-long stop in town, it was my second longest mileage day thus far.  Jon, a.k.a. "Swamp Tromp", my hiking buddy from the Florida Trail, can't believe how far I've gone already.  He also told me that the guy from Maine I stayed with in the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega has decided to pack it in.  He was only ten days on the trail, but I guess it's better to figure out early that thru-hiking isn't for you than mid-way through a 2,000 mile journey.  Sometimes there's a big gap between the dream of hiking a long trail and the reality that you have to face each day.  That's one reason there is such a high attrition rate in the first two weeks.

Sleepyheads at Max Patch
Floral Forest Floor
Rafting on The French Broad
Climbing the Switchbacks


            























No comments:

Post a Comment