Thursday, July 28, 2011

Manassas Gap Shelter to David Lesser Memorial Shelter---March 20th

Calves are burning, knees are sore, I'm slowly losing strength.
Still, I plan to walk the trail its whole entire length.

The worst day for me physically and mentally on the trail so far.  Smooth sailing to Rod Hollow, where upon checking the shelter register I learned that Lemur had finished his 50 some time after one o'clock in the morning.  However, as the Thru-Hikers' Companion states, "Northbounders leaving the Rod Hollow Shelter will enter the 'roller coaster', a 13.5 mile section with ten ascents and descents.  The Virginia corridor is narrow here, leaving Trail crews very little choice other than to route the path up and over each of these viewless and rocky ridges."  The leader of the trail crew placed a sign as you enter the section that sounded a little like, "Abandon all hope, ye that enter here."  Bwah-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha (evil and sinister laughter)!
Bad enough the ups and downs---that I can easily handle---but considering the streambeds, rocks and roots combined with the fact the soles of my shoes were now paper thin, my feet were torn up.  It was like I could feel every uneven contour and sharp edge digging into the bottom of my foot.  When I finally dragged myself into David Lesser Memorial Shelter at eight, I removed my shoes and peeled off my sweat-soaked socks to assess the damage.  What I saw were red and raw arches like someone had been rubbing them with sandpaper.  Extremely tender.  I'm worried about even being able to walk tomorrow.  It feels that bad.  I'm beaten up.  Got to find a way to change things.
Surprisingly, Lemur arrived at the shelter a short time after I had.  He'd gone down to Keys Gap to resupply and then hiked the three miles back up to the shelter from the road.  What was the reason for such madness?  He's setting himself up for the four-state challenge, another fifty-miler that will take him out of Virginia, across West Virginia and Maryland, and into Pennsylvania.  Lemur, I tip my hat to you.  One of the funniest things I heard on the trail was when Cascade, one of a group of thrus at David Lesser, asked Lemur, "What are you carrying in your pack, Crystal Meth?"
A sad note to relate. The owners of a beagle were searching for it around Snickers Gap.  The lady had let it off the leash to run freely along the trail while she was hiking up to Bears Den Rocks, but hadn't seen it since.  She was quite distraught and had called in a few relatives to join the hunt.  However, their repeated cries for their beloved pet remained unanswered, no eager pup running down trail to meet its master's call.  Appeared as if it would join the many dogs I had seen on Lost Dog signs posted all too frequently at trailheads and trail junctions.  I kept an eye and ear out for it but didn't see or hear a thing.
Lucky thing for me was finding $22 on the trail.  Must have fallen out of someone's pack or pocket.  The loss will be my gain since I plan on having a very nice meal in Harpers Ferry.

Bears Den Rocks
Virginia/West Virginia State Line
In Awe of Lemur




    














No comments:

Post a Comment