Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Imp Shelter to Gorham---June 25th

A steep descent to Rattle River and then an extra two miles to U.S. Highway 2.  I attempted a quick hitch into town, but with little traffic and the corresponding success, I aborted my attempt and decided to stay at the White Mountain Lodge and Hostel.  It was the right choice because it's a lovely place with marvellous hosts and all the amenities.  The first of which for me was a hot, steamy shower.  Afterwards, Alex took me to town and waited for me as I ran errands at the post office, the Super WalMart, and an outfitters, then grabbed a pizza to take back to my room for lunch.
There were a couple of SOBO thrus taking a zero that I spoke with about what to expect ahead.  They told me that the 100-mile wilderness was not all that difficult, so that was good news.  What's even better is that in the afternoon the weather seemed to be improving and from what I've seen of the forecasts, the 10-day outlook is promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment