Thursday, July 28, 2011

Hertlein Campsite to Eckville Shelter---May 28th

Rocks, rocks and more rocks were the story of this morning's first half of hiking, driving me mad and slowing the pace considerably.  It was extremely difficult to find any flat surface on which to place your foot with them jutting out of the ground at all sorts of odd angles.  I'd rather have been boulder hopping.
Relief came with some fast track between the towns of Port Clinton and Hamburg. 
My spirits began to rise as I sat sipping the good water gurgling forth from Pocohontas Spring because, according to my watch, I was still on track to reach Eckville Shelter.  However, I was still doubtful of any views I'd get from Pennsylvania's high points due to the overcast skies.  Fortunately as I approached the places high on the ridge, the clouds began to break apart and let blue sky and sunshine in. 
There were dozens of people out at Pulpit Rock and The Pinnacle.  With the trucks and cars I saw through the trees, I felt it was somehow unfair that they'd made it up with such ease.  Shouldn't they have to "earn" the views as well?  :-)  Looking out from Pulpit Rock at the land below was a real treat because most of the day I'd spent closed in by the trees.  This was like a breath of fresh air.  However, it paled in comparison to the panorama at The Pinnacle, the pastures and farm fields laid out beneath my feet, a strangely shaped checkerboard of greens and yellows.  Just as the Thru-Hikers' Companion says, "The best view in Pennsylvania".  With the weather as spotty as it has been, I felt privileged to have witnessed it on this gorgeous afternoon.  I asked a lady if she'd mind taking my picture.  The photo she snapped is one of my favourites from the A.T. journey.  It was also one of my happiest moments on the trail.  Truly, I couldn't believe my luck.
A large portion of the descent from The Pinnacle was on a smoothly graded forest road under the shade of tall trees looking down to the right into a ravine formed by a fast flowing stream.  A real pleasure walking there as it was comfortably cool and the woods were especially nice.  Turned right on Hawk Mountain Road, walking a couple hundred yards to Eckville Shelter, where I claimed the last bed in the bunkhouse.  Plenty of people here in tents on the grass near the solar shower and flush toilets.  The caretaker hooked up some speakers, so we were able to listen to the music of Neil Young as we sat around the picnic table eating dinner, talking, and playing games.  This is another bubble of thrus and a good group at that.  Nice to make the acquaintances of Cologne, from Germany, and Scavenger and his crew.

This Is Rocksylvania

From The Pulpit

Me at The Pinnacle      
   











No comments:

Post a Comment