Thursday, July 28, 2011

Lick Creek to Va. 611---May 5th

Warm inside my sleeping bag, I lie in just my skivvies
And when nearby and nature calls I use the shelter privies.

Spruce and oak, pine, poplar, ash, rhododendron blossoms
Bears and deer, squirrels and mice, raccoons and opposums.

The tent actually dried out during the night, which was a surprise.  Morning dawned crisp and cold with not a cloud in the sky.  The walk up to the high spots of Chestnut Ridge was a beauty with all the views of the surrounding greenery, the path itself running between patches of frosty grass in the early hours.  Breakfast was consumed at Chestnut Knob Shelter, but as with most of my meal breaks was only the briefest of stops.  On the ridgeline the ground was fairly even making for good miles, but the trees closed round me, so there wasn't much else to see but a picket fence of tree trunks.  Came out at I-52 for a short road walk before going back up to the ridge.  There hasn't been much water in this section.  I have enough to get me through the remainder of the day, but I'm certainly hoping that water is flowing at Jenny Knob Shelter tomorrow morning.
After crossing the VA 611 and ducking back into the woods, I see a large campfire blazing away that appears to have been built right on top of the trail, two locals in overalls with their backs turned to me shoving more wood on to stoke the flames. WTF, I thought.  Is this my Deliverance scene on the Appalachian Trail?  What on Earth were they doing?  When they looked up and saw me standing there I think they were just as startled as I was, the light from the fire dancing over my trail worn face covered by nearly a three-week-old scraggly beard.  Both parties were a little leery at first, but I was invited to stay.  It was fast getting dark and their fun with the fire was over.  They soon vacated the area and I quickly pitched my tent, settling in for the night.  The last thing my eyes beheld before closing were the campfire's glowing embers.           

Tread on Chestnut Ridge
The Surrounding Greenery







No comments:

Post a Comment