Friday, July 29, 2011

Short of Lance Creek to Chattahoochee Gap---April 16th

Last night a great torrential rain my first day on the trail.
My tent survived and I'm alive, at least it didn't hail.

Blood Mountain, Slaughter Creek---Just what have I begun?
The rain has ceased, the sky is blue and Lo!, the blessed sun.

The rain finally subsided around six.  I snoozed for about an hour to try and make up for a semi-sleepless night before climbing out of the tent.  During breakfast an Australian lady stopped by to see how I had weathered the storm.  I showed her the improvised dam I had created and was happy to report that I'd got through fairly well considering the storm's severity and the massive amount of rain that had fallen.  She on the other hand had not been so lucky.  Her tent had been inundated and all her gear was wet.  She must have been staying in the tent I saw in the swale at Dan Gap.  Anyway, she was up early hoping to find a drier at Neels Gap.
While I began to pack up my gear, she continued down the trail.  It was rather surprising to see a mouse jump out of my pack as the first items were being stuffed in the bottom.  There wasn't any food there so the only thing I could figure is that it had used the pack as a safe haven during the worst of las night's torrent.  More than welcome to it.  Such a cute little thing with its white and brown markings.  Finished packing, it was just a short jaunt to the camp at Lance Creek where other hikers were assessing the damage caused by the storm.  It appeared to me as if the majority of those there had had flooding problems as well.  Quite a miserable looking lot.  To add insult to injury, one young couple had had their food taken by a bear at dawn.  I was sorry for them, but it made me feel extremely fortunate.  Is that wrong?
I caught up with the Aussie somewhere near Jarrard Gap and we were able to share some trail time and chat for a bit.  I was extremely curious as to why a person from Down Under would fly half-way around the world to thru-hike the AT.  She said she found out about the trail on the Internet, but was unsure of her mental or physical ability to actually complete it.  To test herself, she had done a number of long hikes in Oz and some trails in Spain.  Discovering a love for hiking and more confidence in her abilities along the way, she decided that she'd give the Appalachian Trail a go.  She definitely wasn't your average Sheila. 
I pushed on ahead on the long climb up to Blood Mountain and was rewarded with my first great views on this journey.  Though still cold, the day was shaping up marvellously as the clouds had cleared and there was sunshine and blue skies.  It was the perfect place for an extended snack break sitting on the rocks above the surrounding ridgelines. 
On the descent to Neels Gap I met loads of weekend hikers and once there saw dozens of cyclists.  The Walasi-Yi center is certainly a popular destination for recreational types.  I was just happy they had a bathroom, which is one big difference from the Pacific Crest Trail that I've noticed in only a day and a half.  Between the shelter privies and other bathroom facilities along the trail, the squat time in the woods is greatly reduced. Ha.  I wasn't sure what to make of the "Shoe Tree", a large oak with a variety of shoes hanging from its branches.  Did it represent victory or defeat?  Were these northbounder boots tossed up on to the limbs signalling surrender already or were they southbounder footwear, a well-worn sacrifice to the tree gods for seeing them through this far; a new pair of shoes waiting for them in the Walasi-Yi center so they could finish in style?  Maybe neither or maybe a little of both?  Again, I'm not sure.
I passed a number of hikers climbing out of Tesnatee Gap.  It seemed as if everyone and their dog were headed to Low Gap Shelter.  When I arrived there the place was absolutely packed.  There had to be over 50 people and at least 20 tents.  Yikes!  That was too much for me.  I sat down on a fallen log, ate a quick meal and pushed on down the path.  Another five miles and I was all alone at Chattahoochee Gap.  Still a bit early in the day to stop hiking, but I'd packed my tent away wet and with the evening sun, if I set up now I was sure it would be dry by nightfall.  Besides, there were other things that were a little damp that could use some dry time.  Pitched in a little swale under a pine tree which effectively blocked the wind that was beginning to blow with increasing strength through the gap.  When I lay my head down, it didn't take long before I was completely out.  The sound of the stirring of the trees overhead ushering me into a blissful slumber. 

Blood Mountain Shelter
Views from Blood Mountain
The Shoe Tree
Single Trekking Pole
Swallowtail Butterfly

      






































No comments:

Post a Comment