Thursday, July 28, 2011

Near Laurel Creek Shelter to Lost Spectacles Gap---May 9th

How lovely is the ridgeline---the views, the rocks, the trees
The butterflies and birdsong and striped bumblebees.

Oh grand, majestic Keller Oak, did you really start so small?
For indeed a tiny acorn is not very big at all.

When pine straw and leaf litter lie quite soft beneath the feet
Hiking on the A.T. is something of a treat.

You pack out what you pack in. It is a hiker rule.
When I see trash along the trail, I wonder who's the fool.

I could tell from the sky at sunrise that it was going to be a gorgeous day and indeed it was.  Just a short jaunt down to Laurel Creek Shelter for breakfast.  Most people were still snoozing in their tents or snug in their sleeping bags on the shelter floor.  Only a couple of people stirring, making preparations for their own morning meals.  Gobbling down a few Pop Tarts, I was there and gone before the water in their pots had even reached a boil. 
The trail continued to trend lower and before long I found myself wandering through the grassy fields of Virginia farmlands, greeting grazing cows and crawling over stiles to get from one pasture to the next.  I didn't mind it at all because apart from the fact that it was a pleasant little walk, it was a welcome break from the trees.  Here and there I saw an isolated farm house or old barn and crossed some rural byways.  Shortly after crossing one, Va. 630, I came across the second largest oak found along the Appalachian Trail.  Towering, hulking, majestic---it's estimated to be over 300 years old.  Solid limbs stretching out from the trunk on all sides, light-green spring leaves indicative of the season.  If only trees like this could talk, imagine the amount of living history they could relate.  I wonder when it saw its first white man?  How many hikers have passed beneath its boughs?
The hike up to Sinking Creek Mountain was tough.  Walking on rough, slanted, lichen-covered rocks tested my agility, balance and leg strength.  A slip there and you're legs would be left bruised or bleeding.  Thankfully I remained sure-footed, but when I stopped in at Niday Shelter the legs were feeling a little like jelly, muscles all a-quiver.  Met Moosehead, the first hiker I'd seen since this morning, and had a nice chat while eating lunch. 
Recovering quickly, I set out again and thankfully there was a well-graded path up to and down from the ridge leading to the Audie Murphy Monument, a fitting tribute to the most decorated soldier of  World War II.  He managed to survive the hell of war but lost his life in a plane crash here on the mountain.  Fate sure is fickle.  While the Texas State Flag and Old Glory fluttered in the breeze, I took a break and some time for reflection on a wooden bench, resting in the cool shade on a warm afternoon.
I reached the base of Cove Mountain and the Dragon's Tooth on tired legs.  The climb to the top was quite manageable with some great views, but the much steeper descent was tricky on such wobbly legs.  A misstep could be downright dangerous.  A bit of rock climbing was definitely not out of order here because in some places it was called for.  I dropped my trekking pole down the rock faces to the trail below and employed the use of my hands, making sure I had good handholds and solid places to set my feet.  I'd heard that a bit of climbing was required on the A.T. and what they'd said was true.  I'd just had my first experience with it.
With the remaining strength sapped from my lower limbs I was eager to close out a good hiking day, but there was no indication in the Thru-Hiker's Companion of any nearby camp or shelter.  Scanning the sides of the trail for something suitable, I stumbled into Lost Spectacles Gap and found some relatively even ground.  Sold!  I staked my claim and staked my tent.  Very tired, yet completely satisfied.  A great feeling for a hiker to have at the end of one exceptionally fine day.  I'm positive I'll sleep well tonight.

A Glorious Morning
The Green Tunnel
Rolling Virginia Farmland
Keller Oak
Trail As I Like It
The Divide
Audie Murphy Monument

          
    


































































No comments:

Post a Comment