Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Graymoor Spiritual Life Ballfield to Morgan Stewart Shelter---June 5th

Fast trail today usually on flat, leaf-strewn surfaces.  New York has been topographically interesting with its rock walls and ponds.  I seem to like the woods here more than in other places and what climbs there are, are long and gentle, which is a blessed relief for the feet.
Ran into a group of girls hiking with a couple of women as their leaders.  As they passed me, one of them said while pointing, "See girls, here's a thru-hiker."  Standing off to the side of the path, I felt like a display window mannequin  as they walked by, eyeing me with a look of puzzled curiosity.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it seemed by returning their gaze, I could almost tell which of them held some partial admiration for my undertaking while others were probably thinking, "Jeez Mister, isn't a day enough?!".
Met a section hiker at the RHP Shelter, but since he couldn't carry on a conversation without burping and yawning, I cut things short and after shoving some granola bars in my maw, took off again and left him too himself.  I think its true that there are some folks on the trail that you have an instant connection with, while upon meeting others it's like oil and water, which just don't mix. 
My best wildlife encounter today was when I was just topping the high point of a rocky ridge .  There resting on the ground was a bunch of buzzards with their wings outspread.  Startled by my sudden arrival, they gave a couple of hops and launched themselves into the crosswind blowing over the ridge.  Wasn't much need for the flapping of wings as they circled higher and floated above me using the the angle of their feathered limbs to use the breeze to the best effect, gliding on currents of air.
Hiking was finished in under twelve hours as I settled in at Morgan Stewart Shelter.  Three young guys, who are cross country runners, out for a few days along the A.T. and a couple of southbound sectioners are my company for the night.  Pumping water from the well located on a steep but short downhill, I took time to give myself a field bath, stripping down and washing off what trail dust there was that had accumulated during the day.  Nice, refreshing feeling not to be covered in sweat.  Ha.

View above Canopus Lake
Leaf-Strewn Tread 





No comments:

Post a Comment