Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Little Bigelow Lean-to to Pierce Pond Lean-to---July 2nd

One of the easiest days of hiking so far and there were basically three reasons for this.  First of all, I didn't have to travel a great distance, because the fact of the matter was I couldn't.  I had to lay up at Pierce Pond and wait for the Kennebec Ferry.  A second factor, there were no mountains to climb up and down.  Only 600 feet separated the highest from the lowest point on trail, so covering ground was a breeze.  Finally, the weather was magnificent and the temperature delightful.
One of my favorite spots today was a place where the bog boards were surrounded by flowers and flowering bushes.  It was really idyllic and so nice to see the pinks and purples among so much green.  I dropped my pack and lay back on the warm wood, staring up at the brilliant blue sky as high clouds drifted overhead.  Then, I closed my eyes and used my other senses, taking in the smells and sounds around me.  A wonderful sensory experience, highly recommended.
A second stop on the way was at a small bridge at a stream crossing.  Flowing slowly out of a marshy area, clouds reflected on the water's smooth surface and a few dead trees leaning against each other looked like the lodge poles of a tepee.  I took the time to lay down my pack, grab a bite to eat and admire the scene.
Arriving at Pierce Pond by two in the afternoon, I was surprised that two sobos, Owl and Piece of Cake, had already taken up residence, after all, the shelter is less than four miles from the Kennebec crossing.  Actually, I met both of them as they were coming up to the shelter from a rock shelf in the pond, which is a convenient spot for bathing or doing some wash.  They were good company and we spent a good deal of time talking football and the rising cost of college tuition. 
As the sun went down, soft colors spread across the pond and quiet reigned.

Little Bigelow Lean-to
Bog Boardwalk Beauty
Magnificent Marsh
Serene Sundown

        



















No comments:

Post a Comment