Thursday, July 28, 2011

Tri-Corner Knob Shelter to Brown Gap---April 24th

Easter Morn Wild Child and I came down to Davenport Gap.
Three tables filled with food and drink. Is heaven on my map?

Thought I was the first one out of the shelter this morning (wanted to be after last night's death rattle snoring and drug emporium), but came across Wild Child further down the trail.  She is an experienced ultra-lite hiker who started the AT with her husband before he picked up a knee injury forcing her to continue on her own.  A difficult adjustment mentally and she admitted that at times it had been hard to carry on without him.  She also knew of Snorkel, telling me that they had spent some trail time together.  She said that Snorkel was not a particularly fast hiker but with steady pace and determination could certainly put in the daily mileage to set the new record.  We picked up a thread of conversation and continued it all the way on the long 4,500 foot descent to Davenport Gap which helped the time in the trees fly by.  On arrival, trail magic was waiting for us as Section 11 and other trail enthusiasts had set up a feeding station on this beautiful Easter morn.  Three tables laden with a rich assortment of food for a hiker feast and foldable camp chairs spread all around to help us rest our weary legs.  As soon as I  sat down I was asked if I wanted a quesadilla cooked to order.  I think I took a moment to answer, the impression of it all causing me to just sit there stunned with my mouth open.  I hope I wasn't drooling!  Ha ha.  The trail angels on the PCT are great, but this kind of generosity, meeting you out on the trail for a buffet, was something I'd never experienced before.  In addition to the Mexican food, there was a blueberry bagel sandwich, chips and salsa, Snickers bars and Chips Ahoy cookies, washed down with Gatorade and ginger ale.  Plenty of pleasant conversation swapping trail stories as well.  It must have been a good time for Wild Child as well because she met her hubby at the picnic.  The news about his knee wasn't promising though because it appeared as if he had torn one of the ligaments, which meant it would be some time before he could be anything more than support at some of the trail towns and road crossings.  Looking back now, I wonder if she continued or whether they eventually decided that it just wasn't their year and to try it again when he'd healed up.  Anyway, needless to say, it was very hard to pull myself away, nevertheless, I had to continue.  Mile Nazi! HA!  Making my exit, I thanked everyone profusely and then hit the rise on the other side of the road.
A long steady climb eventually took me back up to the ridge where it was the usual ups and downs of knobs and gaps.  Since I had passed out of Great Smoky National Park boundaries I didn't have to overnight at a shelter any longer.  I camped solo in Brown Gap and was thankful for the evening solitude after the crowded shelters of the past few days.  The cheerful chirping of crickets ushered in the night and brought and end to a truly wondrous day.

Dining at Davenport Gap
The Gentle Path
Spring Flowers
 

    














No comments:

Post a Comment