Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Liberty Springs Tentsite to Ethan Pond Shelter---June 22nd

Slow progress early as I was once again in a steep rock scramble trying to get up to Little Haystack Mountain.  Once there it was an easy two mile stretch along Franconia Ridge to Mt. Lafayette.  Though the skies were a little hazy, the views all around were wonderful.  Looking back, you could see exactly where you'd come from and looking forward, you could see where you needed to go. 
Rugged ups and downs on the Garfield Ridge were tough and by the time I completed yet another climb, this time to the top of South Twin Mountain, my legs were really feeling it.  Probably didn't help that through all this exertion I wasn't drinking enough water, so I felt a little dehydrated.  The good news was that I'd made it past the most difficult part of the day's trek, although the steep descent from Zeacliff, losing 1,450 feet in a little over a mile, was slow and tricky.
At the bottom of the climb down was Zealand Falls Hut, one of the most popular places to stay in The Whites, and from what I could tell by the people resting on the front porch and relaxing by the Falls, it appeared to be pretty well booked.  I was happy to fill up on cold water at the stream and find the last five miles to Ethan Pond Shelter relatively flat and even.  I needed the faster, easier path after what I'd experienced earlier because I was feeling beat.  No doubt in my mind that the White Mountains are the most difficult part of the entire Appalachian Trail.
Arriving at Ethan Pond, it was the same as Liberty Springs---nobody present, not even the caretaker.  However, there was a bear box that I took advantage of, storing my food and scented items in its steel walls after eating dinner.  About an hour before dark, it started raining.  It's hard for me to imagine the rain-slicked rocks tomorrow.  I'm praying for just one more day of good weather.  Please!!!

From Little Haystack
From Mt. Lincoln
Mt. Lafayette Summit
Toward The Garfield Ridge
Twinway Trail Junction

   





























No comments:

Post a Comment