Thursday, July 28, 2011

Ensign Cowall Shelter to Short of Middle Ridge Road---March 23rd

A little foggy in the morning, but it quickly burned off and the majority of the day was mostly sunny with high drifting clouds.  Put Maryland behind me at the Mason-Dixon Line and entered Pennsylvania.  After Virginia, which has the largest number of miles on the A.T., zipping through these smaller states in a day or two seems rather odd.  For those I've met who've thru-hiked or section-hiked the trail, the common consensus is that Pennsylvania was their least favorite state.  Many referred to it as Rocksylvania, relating horror stories regarding the ruggedness of the trail.  Why to hear some of them talk, you'd think it would be easier to walk across a hot bed of coals like a Hindu mystic.  As I crossed the state line I was dreading what was to come.  How surprised was I when the path remained generally fast and smooth.  Certainly no complaints from me, but I was rather perplexed about what had been related to me.  Was everbody just pulling my leg?  The trail was no different from what I'd hiked on in earlier states.  What was I missing?
The hiking was done mainly on the ridgeline with the occasional drop down into a gap or a road crossing.  The highest point all day was the Chimney Rocks, not even reaching the 2,000-foot mark.  From time to time I'd encounter a place where a plaque would describe the history of the place, the one making the biggest impression on me presented information about the "Stonewall Regiment".  Five hundred men in the regiment and in one battle 27 killed, 114 wounded, many of them mortally.  A 25 percent casualty rate and that's probably low for some of the most intense battles during the Civil War.  Utter carnage and incredible loss of life.
Stopped in at a couple of nice shelters for breakfast and lunch.  Quarry Gap was my planned stopping point, but the place was occupied by shelter hogs.  Two guys with all their stuff spread out and not willing to move an inch to create space.  Really couldn't determine if they were scatter-brained from a tiring day on trail or if they just thought they owned the place.  Anyway, I didn't want to deal with them, so I just pushed on and put in another three miles.  Found a cozy little spot off trail to pitch my tent and dry it out after last night's showers.  Completely satisfied apart from a few pesky midges and some rogue mosquitoes buzzing me.

The Stonewall Regiment

Rocks?  I Don't See No Stinking Rocks!  





No comments:

Post a Comment