Thursday, July 28, 2011

Partnership Shelter to Lick Creek---May 4th

The water isn't safe it says, I guess I'll have to boil it.
For God knows who or what upstream has gone and used the toilet.

The pitter patter of raindrops on the shelter roof had ceased by the time I awoke to a fairly clear yet cold morning.  Snorkel and I proceeded to Atkins, where she resupplied.  For lunch we went to The Barn Restaurant.  Can't rightly remember what I ordered, but do recall guzzling lots of soda refills as for some reason I felt very thirsty. 
Afterwards, I pushed on alone because Snorkel's plans and mine are a bit different over the next several days.  Perhaps we'll meet again.  Not something I'd consider with other hikers I've passed, but I knew Snorkel could put in the miles.  In the meantime, I was headed to Pearisburg and she was taking a couple of zeros once she reached Woodshole Hostel.  I was thankful for the short time we'd spent together and the interesting details from her Triple Crown as well as the stories about herself, growing up in a multi-cultural home (Her mum is from Japan).  Now, the roles were reversed.  She'd have to catch me.  In some way I believed that her knowing I was up ahead would serve as motivation to continue logging the big miles on her quest for the record after her days of rest.
In the afternoon, I kept looking skyward.  The weather was very unsettled with brief periods of spitting and drizzle.  On the ground though, it was nice rolling hills, some grass, some woods, all which made for quick time.  Passed up Knot Maul Shelter, which was Snorkel's goal once she departed Atkins, and put in another three miles, stopping down among the trees near Lick Creek.  Lovely little camp right on the bank.  Set up my already wet tent and, considering the humidity, consigned myself to having condensation problems during the night.  Spirits lightened by having a soda and wheat crackers as extras during dinner thanks to the trail magic cache near Lynn Camp Creek.  Lullaby waters heard as I drift off to sleep.

Partnership Shelter
Flowering Field and Stile into Woods








No comments:

Post a Comment