Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Long Pond Stream Lean-to to Carl A. Newhall Lean-to---July 6th

A fair amount of rolling up and down today, but the climbs were not bad at all.  Though hazy,  there were some pretty good views from the rocks on Barren Mountain, where I met another youth group that had spent the night at Cloud Pond Lean-to. 
Fourth Mountain Bog was one of my favorite places in the 100-Mile Wilderness.  Not large, but a very unique and fragile ecosystem, it had both pitcher plants and bullfrogs.
Dropping low to cross Katahdin Iron Works Road, I forded the West Branch of Pleasant River a short time later.  I met dozens of day hikers either heading towards Gulf Hagas, a narrow canyon with many spectacular waterfalls, or heading back to their cars which were parked at the trailhead.
I was at the shelter by 4 p.m..  A group of four young guys were playing cards there, but they cleared out to make room for me.  They left to rejoin their youth group in the tent sites on the opposite side of the stream.  The sobo hiker already there asked if I was alright.  I couldn't think of any reason why I wouldn't be.  The fact is that I was not used to stopping so early and felt that I should have still been out on trail, making miles.  I get easily bored in camp because my usual routine is to just eat and go to sleep.  I suppose the person I was sharing space with may have considered it rude of me to whip out a book at start reading, but I wasn't in the mood for the common trail banter. 
Thankfully, for both him and me, a lady with her dog stepped in.  The first words out of her mouth were "f**king ups and downs" and then she set in on berating her dog for its disobedience.  I wished she had just shut up.  What did she expect from a region called the 100-Mile Wilderness, a garden path?  If she was so upset with her dog, why did she bring it?  If I wasn't in the mood for trail banter, I certainly couldn't stand a bunch of complaining.  I dove even more deeply into the pages of my book, shutting both of them out completely.  They were free to revel in their pity party.
A storm rolled in at six, darkening the sky and bringing the normal heavy rain, lightning and thunder.  The weather seemed to match the way I was feeling--- restless and agitated.

Atop Barren Mountain
Entering Fourth Mountain Bog
Bullfrog
A Fragile Ecosystem
Pitcher Plants
Stream Ford

         














































No comments:

Post a Comment