Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Monson to Long Pond Stream Lean-to---July 5th

Was told in the morning that I was snoring.  Oops!  Sorry!  It happens from time to time when my nose is stuffy.  Anyway, not much I can do about it now. 
The all-you-can-eat breakfast was outstanding:  bacon, sausage, eggs to order, potatoes, orange juice and the thing I'd been looking forward to most, blueberry pancakes topped with maple syrup.  Breakfast over after several stacks, I, like other hikers, trod down to the post office to pick up packages.  I'd sent some resupply on from Gorham.  Arranging the contents in my pack, I was ready for the shuttle departure at 8:30.
It's supposed to be near a record high today, 85 degrees Fahrenheit and my pack's the heaviest it's ever been on the Appalachian Trail.  Shortly up from the trailhead is the caution sign warning hikers of the dangers of entering the 100-mile wilderness saying there are no places to obtain supplies and that people should carry a minimum of 10 days food.  Both of these seemed like dubious claims.  I was hiking slowly and it would only take me five and a half days to reach Abol Bridge.  If I'd been doing the large mileage days, it would have taken me three.  True, you might not be able to obtain supplies.  However, seventy miles in you could take a side trail to White House Landing and grab yourself a one-pound burger or some pizza.
Passed a series of ponds in the first five miles:  Spectacle, Bell, Lily and North.  Ate lunch on a rock shelf next to Little Wilson Falls, which was very nice, the roaring water of the cascade drowning out all other sounds.
Later, I slipped on the rounded rocks in another small stream and fell backwards into the water as I was flailing around, trying to catch my balance.  Kerplop!  This slipping and sliding is turning into something akin to a comedy routine.  I'm sure if there'd been someone filming, the resulting clip would have wound up on You-Tube.  One advantage of being a solo hiker--- nobody around to witness your foibles!?
I'm alone in the lean-to at Long Pond Stream, but a large group of girl scouts are occupying the tent sites.  They came down to the shelter in the evening since it was the most convenient place for them to prepare and cook dinner.  Just another reason to believe the 100-mile wilderness is not as imposing as it is made out to be.  That said, it definitely doesn't diminish the beauty of the area.  These woods are super.

Nail Biter
Little Wilson Falls

  




No comments:

Post a Comment