Thursday, July 28, 2011

Stream Beyond Walnut Mountain Road to Past Vandeventer Shelter---April 30th

An oak leaf lies upon the trail, its color rustic brown.
How long is it, oh little leaf, since you came drifting down?

Laurel Fork Falls is a royal cascade.
Granola bars for lunch in the shade.

The regular ups and downs this morning, but nothing too strenuous.  It was the section of trail between the side trail to Coon Den Falls and Pond Flats that was truly exceptional.  The mountainside was dotted with the pink of mountain laurel in full bloom.  The path climbed steeply higher from the bridge that crossed Upper Laurel Fork, then as it levelled off it ran through little sheer-sided canyons  before finally making a precipitous, stony descent to the base of Laurel Fork Falls, a fabulous whitewater cascade dropping thirty feet over rocky stairs.  So fantastic to see and hear the rushing water! 
A perfect time to reach this idyllic spot just past noon with the sun shining directly overhead.  About a dozen people were sitting around on the rocks enjoying nature's showcase.  I found my own comfy place to crash for a bit, digging into my pack for the contents of today's lunch.  Sitting there eating and watching the movement of the water over the falls was quite mesmerizing.  A young couple decided to frolic in the deeper waters of the pool near the bottom.  They were already well-soaked by the time they reached it, slipping several times on the slick, rounded stones on the river bottom, losing their balance and falling into the refreshing wetness. 
Eventually, I roused myself and broke away from the enchanting scene.  However, I didn't go too far before finding another deep pool, its enticingly cool waters beyond my powers to resist.  A wonderful swim/bath exactly what I needed at that moment.  Every little ache or muscle soreness seemed to flow away with the passing current. I was completely re-energized!  I'd just put my clothes back on when a large group of day hikers strolled by.  It is Saturday after all.
Followed the course of the river for a bit before a brutal climb took me out of the canyon and into Pond Flats, an interesting area of trees interspersed with small basins, dry now, but looking as if they'd form shallow ponds in early spring as the snow melts.  At least that's how it appeared this locale earned its name.  I didn't mind the toughness of the ascent, but it made the subsequent hike down to Hampton (2,000 foot elevation loss) a strength test for my legs, which felt like noodles. 
When I emerged from the woods on a country back road, I met an older gentleman, Bald Eagle, who was looking a bit perplexed, not knowing which way to turn.  To the right or to the left?  Getting my bearings, I soon set us both on the right path to the shores of Lake Watauga.  We shared a nice meal together at a picnic table in the regional park while gazing at Canadian Geese with their goslings and bikini-clad women, both an uncommon sight on a regular trail day.  Sorry, I don't mean to stare. HA!Bald Eagle was planning to stop for the night at Watauga Lake Shelter, but I had more ambitious designs. 
The trail skirted around the lake rising gradually from the shoreline before departing from it entirely.  An uphill push to the top of a ridge line placed me at Vandeventer Shelter about an hour before sunset.  It had been my planned stopping point, but it was readily apparent there was no room at the inn.  The shelter was packed to overflowing and what level ground there was, which wasn't much at all, already had tents set up.  I didn't even break stride as I walked past.  Darkness would soon envelop me and from what I'd seen on the way up, good campsites were something of a rarity.  Rushing on, I was looking for any suitable spot that presented itself.  About a mile further on I found a perfect little space off the trail at the edge of a small cliff.  As I set up my tent in the half-light, I saw lights winking on in a few country residences in the valley below.  Settled down in my tent feeling very happy and not quite so lonesome.

Moreland Gap Shelter
The Oldest Trail Shelter :-)
Bridge and Bluff
Upper Laurel Fork
Laurel Fork Falls
Flower and Fronds
Blossoms with Butterfly
Geese with Goslings



       




















































































No comments:

Post a Comment