Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Carl A. Newhall Lean-to to Cooper Brook Falls Lean-to---July 7th

The last set of mountains until Katahdin is what faced me this morning.  Despite the grumbling I'd heard by the sobos last night, I didn't find the climbs or the terrain difficult at all.  The only thing that put a damper on the day were the thick clouds casting an oppressive pall on the land.  So, I took comfort in the trail's easy grade, but lamented the fact that I'd be denied any views.  Bumped into a porcupine on the way to Hay Mountain.  I've seen quite a few of these odd creatures on my journey that perhaps I'll change my trailname from Will to Quill or maybe a combination of the two---Qwill.
When I reached the high point of the day, the 3,650 foot summit of White Cap Mountain, it was living up to its name, for indeed it did have a white cap of clouds that encompassed it.  Nothing there to see apart from the sign, a couple of rock piles and surrounding trees.  Everything beyond that was a grayish-white.  Heading down the far side, the weather began to change rapidly.  A strong wind started driving the clouds away and the all around whiteness started to lift.  Now and then glimpses of the Maine wilderness could be had as the enshrouding mist parted.  Another quarter mile down the trail and the sun was finally struggling through.  Just minutes later, the rout was on, the sun was shining brightly and the defeated clouds were rapidly retreating.  The world had opened up, which is exactly what I wanted.  A blanket of trees, threaded with rivers and streams and dotted with lakes, ponds and bogs lay all around me.  This was Maine!!!  I had to drop my pack and take it all in.  I felt very euphoric and extremely blessed.  It was as if the heavens had opened just for me.  And my oh my, what a display in the middle of the 100-Mile!  As I sat there, I became more reflective, thinking about the many things that had happened to get me to this point.  Then, a little melancholy crept in as I realized the journey was nearly over.  There were only a few more days to enjoy times like this.  "Well," I  thought, "Better soak it all up while you can."
Pretty much all downhill from there to the ford at the East Branch of Pleasant River.  Then, I encountered the worst climb of the day on a reroute up to Little Boardman Mountain.  It appeared that the original surveyors had made an error and the A.T. had accidentally wandered onto a tract of private land.  In order to correct the mistake, a new path had been cut up the side of Little Boardman.  It seemed quite new and fairly recently done because at times the path was very narrow and it didn't appear to be well-travelled.  Were 2011 thrus the first to trek this little rerouted section?
Cooper Brook Falls Lean-to was reached by mid-afternoon.  It has a picturesque location, sitting just back in the woods facing the stream.  The falls rush down over a staircase of rock to the left.  The waters rush over the last narrow step into a deep pool before widening and becoming a clear, calm, slow-moving stream, perfect for an afternoon dip.  I sat on a rock in the middle of the stream at the base of the falls and read for nearly an hour.  Then, I plunged into the deep pool, holding my breath while enjoying the cool, encapsulating water before popping to the surface.  All said, it was one of the most enjoyable stops on the trail.
I wasn't the only one enjoying the setting.  Three nobo section hikers were in the shelter and a girl's youth group had claimed all the tent sites.  After pulling myself away from the water, I went in search of firewood since there was a little blaze going in front of the shelter.  Providing a little warmth as the sun went down, it had the added benefit of keeping the mosquitoes at bay.  As it got later, the fire began to die and those that had sat/stood quietly around it, staring into the flames, drifted off, returning to their tents.  I rolled over in my sleeping bag, closed my eyes and then sleep put an end to an incredible trail day.

White Cap Mountain
Rapidly Changing Weather
This is Maine
Clouds Defeated
A Light in the Forest
Deeper Shade
                  














































No comments:

Post a Comment