Thursday, July 28, 2011

Ed Garvey Shelter to Ensign Cowall Shelter---March 22nd

Standing here in Dahlgren's showers wearing shorts and shirt.
What am I doing fully clothed?  Washing out the dirt!

Out early and had the easiest day of hiking to date because the path through Maryland is quite flat.  There is so much history near the trail in this state that you can get caught up in it.  My first experience with this was Gathland State Park in Crampton Gap, where I read the plaques explaining the Civil War battle of South Mountain and visited the War Correspondents Monument, the only one of its kind in the country.
Another six miles on and I stopped by the General Reno Monument in Fox Gap.  Just off the trail, more plaques continue the narrative of South Mountain.  Union General Reno and Confederate General Garland both died during the fighting.  It seems as if the generals bit it just as often as the troops in the grand struggle to preserve the nation.  Quite different from today's battlefield, those generals led from the front.  I wonder when the last time an American General was killed in action.
Absolutely had to stop at Dahlgren Backpack Campground.  How often are there hot showers right on the trail?!  Turning on the water and getting a nice, warm stream, I entered clothes and all.  This was not only a shower, but to do a bit of field laundry.  One by one, I stripped off my items of clothing and gave them a good hand scrubbing aided by some leftover soap I found.  Once fully naked, I leaned my head on the tiled wall and allowed the hot water to pour over my neck and back, letting it work on any minor aches or muscle tightness I had.  For a thru-hiker, it was simply luxurious.  After the water had done its magic, I dressed and went to have an early lunch on one of the benches outside.  Most of what I consumed had been given to me by section hikers the day before---Clif Bars, Odwalla, and a Chocolate Mousse packet.
The last bit of history today was a short side trip to the first monument dedicated to George Washington.  Looked something like a round, thick-walled watchtower.  I again read the information on the plaques, but didn't bother climbing up to the observation deck because the clouds were back, obscuring any views there might have been.  Actually rained briefly while I was having a break at Pine Knob Shelter.
When I reached the vicinity of Ensign Cowall Shelter, I used the tentsite because I wanted to dry out some of my gear, the sun having reappeared after the scattered showers.  After the tent was up and things were laid out in the sunlight, I wandered over to the shelter to discover it was only occupied by two people, an older married couple who over the last 20 years had been hiking sections of the Appalachian Trail.  Was able to get some pretty good information from them about what awaits me in New England, but as far as Maine goes, it was pretty outdated.  They said that Maine had been their first state twenty years ago because they felt they should tackle it and get it out of the way while they were still young.  Can't argue with that logic.  We talked until it got dark at which time, I excused myself and returned to my tent in the woods.

Arched Entrance and Gath's Empty Tomb
  


No comments:

Post a Comment