Thursday, July 28, 2011

Palmerton Zero Day---May 30th

There was a storm early this morning.  We could all hear the pounding rain and the constant rumbling of thunder, echoing in the valley.  Certainly everyone sat up and took notice when a flash outside the basement doors was followed by a cannon blast of noise that bounced around the walls of our tiny dungeon.  Then, heads hit pillows once more sending us off to dreamland.
So nice to sleep late (7:00) because you know you've nowhere to go.  Kellog's Raisin Bran for breakfast---the whole box.  Tasty fiber and don't forget, two scoops of raisins.  Cologne and the boys headed back to the trail at 10, so I'm alone, Croft having left before I awoke.
Everything is closed except for a few shops because it's Memorial Day.  There was a large stack of recent issues of Sports Illustrated and ESPN Magazines, so basically I spent the day in the cool basement reading article after article, which was quite a treat for a sports junkie.  Outside, it's 92 degrees and humid.  A heat wave that's supposed to last for the next couple of days.
Lunch was Beefaroni and lemon pies.  In the afternoon, I took the opportunity to shave.  Hiker beards are great, but I can never get past the third week, when the itchiness starts to drive me crazy.  McDragon and his girlfriend arrived this evening.  I'd met them at Eckville Shelter two days ago.  They related their harrowing tale of being caught in last night's storm up near Tripoli Campsite near the power lines.  We spent some time talking about my travel experiences, both on trail and abroad as they shared some of their Hunan dumplings with me.  Being a young couple, I'm sure they have many adventures waiting for them in the future.  As they laid out ther gear to dry, I made sure all mine was packed up and ready to go for a pre-dawn departure tomorrow.

Pre-Shave

Post-Shave





No comments:

Post a Comment