Friday, July 29, 2011

Chattahoochee Gap to Campsite Near Blue Ridge Gap---April 17th

Kelly Knob and Cowart Gap, there are many ups and downs.
The gentle ground brings on the smiles, the steep brings on the frowns.

Wake up sleepy campers. Don't stay inside your tent.
The trail to you is calling and half the morning's spent.

I arose to a picture perfect day--- azure sky, bright sunshine and a little nip to the air to remind you that it is still spring in the mountains.  With the trees void of leaves I could peer out and catch some lovely views of the surrounding landscape.  How long this will last, I don't know.  Possibly a few more weeks before the new leaves block out the sights and put me into "the green tunnel". 
I came across my first instance of trail magic at Tray Gap.  I saw the SUV and the people gathered around it, but thought it was probably somebody dropping off a group of hikers.  I was just going to pass on by when one of the group happened to call me over with the clarion call of hikers, "Hey, trail magic!".  Frankenfoot and his wife were the providers of a delightful smorgasbord including sausages, cheese, nuts, chocolates, pop tarts, chips and dip, sodas and more.  Just help yourself.  I stood around munching and listening to the idle conversation.  The four guys were talking about how they'd started out at a ten-mile-a-day pace, but were now planning to up that to twelve or even fifteen.  I had to smile inside, not because I hike much farther than that on a daily basis, but because they made it sound as if twelve miles was horribly difficult.  Perhaps it was for them.  Later in my journey I met a southbounder who was dying as he pulled into the shelter for the night and he had only done eight miles!  I also heard Frankenfoot mention a female hiker, Snorkel, who had passed that way yesterday afternoon.  She was attempting to set the women's AT unsupported record, having left Springer Mountain on April 15th.  April 15th?!  That's the same day I left, but I didn't remember seeing her.  I was looking for some motivation on this trek and I believe I had just found it.  I was going to try and catch this unknown hiker, but even if I couldn't, I would know what it was like to chase a record both physically and mentally.  Feeling newly energized by this intriguing idea and the copious amount of food I'd just stuffed down my gullet, I left the trailside gathering, thanking them for their wonderful generosity and declaring that I was off to catch Snorkel.  They all laughed thinking it was a good joke.  Little did they realize how serious I was.  My trailname is Will and I was going to earn it!
I pushed hard for the remainder of the day, driven by a newfound urgency.  I'd wanted to resupply at Hiawassee, but after a brief stint at gaining a hitch, I pressed on.  On that Sunday evening there was very little traffic and it was chancey at best to get there and back with the remaining daylight hours.  What food I had left--- tortillas, starbursts, jelly beans and peanuts---would have to last me until Franklin. 
Had a nice conversation with Deb out of Unicoi Gap while I was eating my late afternoon snack.  She walks on the Appalachian Trail regularly on the weekends just to keep fit.  I know if I had a National Scenic Trail in close proximity to my backyard, I'd try to take advantage of it as often as I could just like she does.  A lot of hikers pulling up early at Plumorchard Gap Shelter, but I wanted to get in a few more miles before sunset, settling into the campsite beyond Blue Ridge Gap as the sun went down.

Shadow and Light

Tray Gap Trail Magic

An Open View





      


















No comments:

Post a Comment