Thursday, July 28, 2011

Campsite Past Rice Field Shelter to Near Laurel Creek Shelter---May 8th

In a battle for supremacy between the fog and sun
I do pronounce a winner, the heat has finally won.

It rained all night long so I really didn't fall into a restful deep sleep, expecting a downpour I guess, but only getting the slow and steady thump of big drops on the tent.  Finally tapered off at seven, so hiking got underway in thick fog at 7:30.  You can tell by my expression in the photo that I was less than thrilled.  However, it's mornings like this that teach you to persevere, for it had started to lighten up by the time I got to Pine Swamp Branch Shelter and the sun was shining by the time I reached Bailey Gap.
The Climb out of Bailey's was very rocky/stony, but coming to the edge of Wind Rock, the views were fantastic.  I sat down to savor a meal, soaking up the sun as I dangled my legs over the ledge. Resting above the treetops below the cliff, it was another near perfect trail moment made all the more special considering the inhospitable weather earlier in the day.
The near 2,000 foot descent to War Spur Shelter was steep and at times like walking in a dry creek bed, because I'm sure the trail serves as a water course during heavy rain.  Lots of smaller rocks and uneven footing.  Must have come across another hiker bubble at the shelter, seeing how packed it was.  No space left at the picnic table, so I'll have to snack someplace else.
Met two hikers with their dog Lucy on the way up to Rocky Gap.  They passed me quickly after I'd overtaken them during their rest break, but my steady pace/never stop approach saw me overtaking them once again on a steep uphill as they paused to catch their breath.  I pulled up early on a high spot near a trail junction to make use of the last hour of full-on sun and a gentle breeze to dry out my tent and sleeping bag.  Sitting on an improvised bench, eyes closed facing the sun, feeling its warmth on my skin, I couldn't help thinking that this was a great ending to a day with a less than auspicious beginning.

Misty Mountain Hop
Sun at Wind Rock
Above the Tree Tops

   
















No comments:

Post a Comment