Thursday, July 28, 2011

Fullhardt Knob Shelter to Cornelius Creek Shelter---May 11th

Foggy and raining (not a great combo) early on the descent from Fullhardt Knob Shelter.  Nothing to see beyond thirty feet except an encapsulating circle of grey.  Decided to pass the time concentrating on the little things.  The rhododendron bushes I brushed past were lovely, but the thing that really captivated me was all the bright orange salamanders enjoying the damp morning.  Lying on the leaf litter next to the path or clinging to mossy rocks, these tiny critters soon became my favorite creatures on my trip through Appalachia.  Took up counting the ones I found along the trail and after a couple of hours walking was up to 52.  Gave up the tally as the fog started to lift. 
The grade is relatively easy following the Blue Ridge Parkway, but the haze cut down on any open views, for example those towards Otter Mountain or the James River.  Eventually the sun peeped out.  However, it was too little, too late.  The hardest part of the day was the climb up to Cornelius Creek Shelter from Bryant Ridge Shelter (very nice and recommended for a stay if it suits your schedule). 
When I arrived at Cornelius Creek, a guy who appeared slightly familiar looked up at me and, with an astonished look on his face, declared, "It's you!".  Well, of course it's me I thought, but who are you?  As my mind was working furiously to place him, I suddenly remebered that he was one of the people at Wilson Creek Shelter, where I had stopped briefly to enjoy my second breakfast.  He couldn't believe I'd actually walked the whole distance to that point for he, on the other hand, had gone out to the nearest trailhead, hopped in his car, driven to the trailhead in closest proximity to Cornelius Creek and hiked the few miles back in.  After assuring him that logging such miles was quite possible, he was thoroughly convinced.  After all, he had the living proof standing in front of him.
As daylight waned and drops of rain began to fall, the tree frogs started a chorus of croaking.  Night Train, a hiker I'd met at Bryant Ridge struggled in just before dark.  I thought he had decided to stay at the lower shelter, but managed to break away and tramp the five miles to here.  Again, I made very good time today.  Sore but satisfied.

Orange Salamander

No comments:

Post a Comment