Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hexacuba Shelter to Beaver Brook Shelter---June 20th

Had a really good night's sleep so was refreshed and ready to take the climb up to Mount Cube.  It was actually fairly warm early on, everything beautiful, bathed in the morning light.  From the top I was able to look back at the fire tower, seven miles distant, and see from whence I'd come.  Coming down from the rocks on the far side of the peak, I ran into a couple of porcupines in the middle of the trail.  Don't know who was more startled, them or me.  Completely unexpected.
Coming out of the dense woods on a couple of road crossings, I wasn't exactly sure where the A. T. started  up on the opposite side.  However, a little investigative work soon had me headed in the right direction.  One thing I can say after being in the state for a few days is that it's rougher, rockier and rootier than Vermont.
In the afternoon, I faced the long ascent to Mt. Moosilauke.  At 4,802 feet, it was the highest point on the Appalachian Trail since Pine Mountain in southern Virginia.  Wanting to summit by three, I surged forward, the muscles in my legs burning in an epic stairmaster.  I thought I'd done it, but as I reached the sign set in a small circle, ringed by stunted trees, it indicated that there was still more than half a mile to go.  That was OK.  The hard work was done because I'd reached fairly flat ground, the angle of ascent greatly diminished.  Stopped for a snack and a break to reward myself for the Herculean effort.  :-)
Break time over, I walked on an even path between miniature evergreens.  Gradually, they thinned out and gave way to the final climb up to the treeless summit.  Following the towering rock cairns, I was now exposed to the power of the wind rushing over the top of the peak.  Reaching the high point, I stared at the breathtaking scenery around me.  These are the White Mountains!  A growing sense of exhiliration filled me.  It was fantastic!  A young rep from Moosilauke Lodge was stationed at the top, sharing information with hikers and serving as a handy photographer.  When she found out I was a thru-hiker, she ran over to her day pack and quickly handed me a bag of trail mix.  Wow, extra food is surely appreciated as she must have known.  I lingered there as long as I felt I could, basking in the moment, before tearing myself away.
It was an easy jaunt to Beaver Brook Shelter, where a rushing mountain stream provided some great cold water.  A French Canadian and two Americans shared the front porch view and the occasional flighty mosquito.

Hexacuba Shelter
Atop Mount Cube
Among the Stunted Trees
Moosilauke Summit
Towering Rock Cairns




           





























No comments:

Post a Comment